Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors save lives! Make sure your place of residence has working detectors!
- Visit the Berkeley News page, listen to KALX 90.7 FM (UC Berkeley's radio station), and watch for UC Berkeley WarnMe alerts
- Check Zonehaven for real-time evacuation warnings and orders for the City of Berkeley.
- Check ongoing incidents at CAL FIRE Incidents
- Consider signing up for Alameda County Alerts, the Alerting and Notification system for Alameda County and the City of Berkeley.
Berkeley Specific Wildfire Hazards
- The Berkeley Hills region may be prone to wildfires under dry and windy conditions. Individuals who work and live in this area should remain vigilant to UC Berkeley Warnme notifications and Evacuation Warnings/Orders.
- See the City of Berkeley's page on Wildfire Readiness & Evacuation
Wildfires and Smoke
- Make a Go Bag and be ready to leave at a moment's notice
- If sheltering in place, close all doors and windows, and await further instructions
- Check Local Air Quality Reports (Bay Area Air Quality Management District)
- Close windows, doors, and other openings through which smoke can enter.
- Close fresh-air intake on Air Conditioning Units and run Air Purifiers if available.
- Try to stay indoors. If you need to venture outside wear a particle respirator like an N95 mask.
- Take the closest exit (use the stairs, never elevators)
- Feel door handles with the back of your hand; if warm, find a different exit
- If you can't exit:
- Call 911 (510-642-3333 via cell phone)
- Shove clothing in the gap underneath door frames to prevent smoke from entering the room
- Seek shelter in a Designated Waiting Area
- Pull the fire alarm as you exit
- Do NOT re-enter the building until allowed by emergency personnel